Blind Boy Paxton at the Jalopy Theater 9/17/08 (Photo by E. Smith)
Today’s show features recordings by some exciting young performers I have encountered. These are people that I met in my travels and field recorded or who heard about the show and sent in their recordings. Great stuff! These artists are operating for the present at an underground and basically local level and I heard about them in a grass roots manner. Certainly in terms of folk or roots type of music that’s pretty much where its at- no major media attention. With some exceptions, the only bands in the folk/roots/”obsolete” music field that I’ve thought are any good are ones I’ve heard about in the most grass roots, grapevine, personal encounter type of way. So I’m happy to share some of these people with the Down Home Radio audience. The “Some New Folks” episodes of Down Home will be a continuing series on the program, airing every time I amass a critical number of recordings by underground artists that I really like and want to share. I hope to do interviews with all of the people on today’s show real soon!
On the show today we hear from 6 performers/bands:
1. Clifton Hicks – An excellent singer and old-time banjo player from North Carolina
2. Blind Boy Paxton – Originally from LA but going to school near NYC, plays blues and old time on guitar, piano and banjo and is a great singer too!
3. The Cangelosi Cards – Great New York New Orleans style jazz/swing band.
4. The Squirrelly String Band – Great old-time string band from Berkeley, CA
5. Elizabeth Butters – Dulcimer and guitarist from Cambridge, MA. An excellent singer of songs and ballads.
6. Frank Hoier – New York folk musician and songwriter writing some really good songs.
Clifton is a founder of Iraq Veterans Against the War
Squirrelly String Band. (Photographer unknown)
The Cangelosi Cards at Banjo Jim’s probably 2006 (photo E. Smith)
They have a somewhat different personnel now, but this is a good picture!
Clifton Hicks served in the army in Iraq, here are some photos from his Flickr account that I put together.
Clifton is a founder of Iraq Veterans Against the War.
Click here for video of Clifton Hicks Testifying at the Winter Soldier hearings
Clifton in the army (photographer unknown)